Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Misanthrope

Well, the weekend is coming to a close, and I must say that there is so much that has happened this past week. Not only was John Cleese's lecture AMAZING, but The Misanthrope is finally up and running.

Thursday night was such an incredible adrenaline rush. After not being in a mainstage production since senior year of high school, the first preview of the show made my month. Thursday night, the night before opening, is called the "Gyspy Preview." At the Gypsy Preview, drama faculty, staff, and students come to watch the show to see how it has turned out. The audience on Thursday was much larger than the typical Gypsy Preview. So what happens when you fill the auditorium with nothing but Drama kids? Lot's of fun. Not only was the crowd so energetic, but their initial reaction set the pace for the rest of the show. You can't imagine how good it feels to have people react to your performance with such hearty laughs. It felt good that I had done my part to make the show what it is, a comedy.

Although my role is significantly smaller than many others in The Misanthrope, it hasn't stopped me from reaping all the benefits of such a succesfully comedic play. My mind keeps wandering back to Thursday night and our initial entrance onto the stage. I just remember thinking to myself, "this is why I do theatre."

So I think the show is officially a success! Come see it next week! Wednesday and Thursday at 7:00 pm and Friday and Saturday at 8:00 pm.


The cast of The Misanthrope

No comments:

Post a Comment